Thursday, March 13, 2014

An Open Letter to the TBS Executives In Charge of Renewing King of the Nerds

Dear TBS Executives,

Before you see the numbers for the King of the Nerds season two finale and make your final decision about renewing the show for a third season, I have prepared this open letter for you consider while you decide. Anyone that reads my King of the Nerds blog knows that I’m not good at math, but I know for a fact that the equation you are using to give the stamp of approval for King of the Nerds season three is missing a very vital variable: Heart. Don’t forget to factor in how much your loyal viewers love King of the Nerds. As one of those loyal viewers, I would like to present you with a piece of heart to use when you make your decision. 

Survivor premiered the summer after my dad died. My younger sister had just finished her freshman year of college and was staying with me; we were hooked after episode one and soon, our mom and little brother were watching along with a cousin of ours and a family friend. Survivor/Pizza night was formed some time around season three, I think, and I don’t know about everyone else in the circle, but for me, watching Survivor and talking about it after was very therapeutic. Watching everyday people play this crazy game and expose themselves to the world was comforting. 

My dad would have hated Survivor and Big Brother, two of my never-miss-an-episode favorites. I don’t think he would have seen the genius in one of my other favorites either, The Joe Schmo Show, because he would not be a reality TV fan if he were still alive; and if you’re not into reality TV, comedy or the entertainment industry in general, you just don’t understand why that show is so brilliant. King of the Nerds, though…

My dad would have loved King of the Nerds and he would have happily sat down to watch it with me every week because I had one of those really cool dads that let my little sister and I watch all kinds of inappropriate movies for little girls. Movies like, Revenge of the Nerds, Spaceballs, and Airplane – anything comedy related, you can bet that my sister and I were allowed to watch it unless it was really dirty. I can just hear the conversation I would have had with him last year. “Dad, oh my god, TBS is doing this reality show and they are only casting nerdy people and Booger and Louis from Revenge of the Nerds are the hosts.That’s all it would have taken to convince him to watch and after this season, he would be sending a letter of his own to let you know how awesome it is. This is something that I know for a fact because it’s making me tear up a little right now. It’s sad we don’t get to watch it together for real; sometimes I can hear his laughter and comments in my imagination when I watch now, but it’s not the same. My mom loves the show, though, so does my younger brother and we really enjoy watching it together. 

That’s my piece of heart, now for the spin attack with my Master Sword. If you think you won’t be able to keep the show fresh and new, don’t! You’ve got a small army of nerds on your side to act as consultants for developing new challenges and if you want my ideas on how to mix up and twist the social game, I’ve got some and I’m kind of an expert on the highest rated reality competition shows on television. A couple of other fans and I came up with some great King of the Nerds games as well last week on Twitter. King of the Nerds has a bright future; if not on this Earth, a parallel one that has fully embraced the “worship” of intelligence. Create the alternate time line that takes us to that future! You can help save us from the world of Idiocracy we seem to be hurtling towards! 

At the very least, give us fans a prime number of seasons; three is a prime number. So is seven and 11, 13, 17, 19, 23… Also... Enjoy my Tweets tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment